- Reduce N rate by 60 to 80 pounds per acre following a well-established single-species winter cover crop of crimson clover or hairy vetch that has reached early bloom stage.
- The sulfate form of potash should be used to improve curing and quality.
- Apply 50-75 pounds of 4-16-4 per 9 feet x 100 feet of bed.
- When boron tests less than 0.8 lbs/acre apply 1.0 lb of boron per acre annually. Follow up with another soil test in two years . (Note 4 is used only when the boron test indicates a need for boron.).
- (Note 5 is used only when the magnesium test indicates a need for ) Apply 20 pounds of magnesium per acre using magnesium sulfate or potassium-magnesium sulfate. If lime is needed, dolomitic limestone is recommended as the magnesium source since it can be used to correct both low magnesium and soil acidity.