- Fertilizer Recommendations for Corn in Tennessee. 2022. Adotey, N. M.A. McClure, F.
Walker, L. Duncan, R. Blair, and R. Florence. UT Extension publication, PB 1905.
Visual Symptoms: A Handy Tool in Identifying Nutrient Deficiency in Corn, Cotton and Soybean. 2021. Adotey, N., M.A. McClure, T.B. Raper, and R. Florence. UT Extension publication, W 978.
UT Soil Fertility Recommendations for Cotton. 2021. Adotey, N., T.B. Raper, and L. Duncan. UT Extension publication, W 1033.
Enhanced Efficiency Nitrogen Fertilizer as a Tool to Control Nitrogen Loss in Row Crop Production. 2020. Adotey, N., M.A. McClure, and X. Yin. UT Extension publication, PB 1888.
- Cotton Nitrogen Management in Tennessee. 2019. Duncan L.A and T.B. Raper. UT Extension publication, W 783.
- Effects of Enhanced Efficiency Urea on No-tillage Corn Yields and Profit. 2019. Zhou, X., J.A. Larson, X. Yin, H.J. Savoy, M.A. McClure, M.E. Essington, and C. Boyer. UT Extension publication.
- Assessing the Potential for Nitrogen Leaching from your Tennessee Soils. 2013. Walker F. and S. Hawkins. UT Extension publication, W 302.
- The Pre-Sidedress Nitrate-N Soil Test (PSNT) for Nitrogen Management in Corn Production Systems of Tennessee. Savoy, H.J. UT BESS Information Sheet, 105.
- Nitrogen Sources for Pasture and Hay. 2007. Savoy, H.J. UT Extension publication, W163.
Blogs, fact sheet, magazine or newsletter articles
Management Practices to Optimize Nitrogen Fertilizer Use with High Fertilizer Prices. 2022. Adotey N., and R. Blair.
Integrating Cover Crops in Nitrogen Management. 2021. Adotey N.
UT Fertilizer Recommendations for Optimal Corn Productivity - N. 2021. Adotey, N., M.A.
- Minimizing Nitrogen Loss in Row Crop Production Using Nitrogen Stabilizers. 2020. Adotey, N., M.A. McClure, and X. Yin.
- Managing Nitrogen with scattered rainfall conditions. 2019. McClure, M.A. UTCrops News Blog.
- Corn Nitrogen and Wet Soils. 2018. McClure A. UTCrops News Blog.
- Use Full Nitrogen Rate behind Mixed Cover Crops. 2018. McClure, M.A. UTCrops News Blog.
- Cotton Nitrogen Management. 2017. Raper T.B. UTCrops News Blog
- Grain Sorghum Basics on Planting, Nitrogen Management, Weed Control and Harvest Aids. 2015. Steckel L. and M.A. McClure. 2015.
- Topdressing Corn. 2015. McClure, M.A. UTCrops News Blog.
- Nitrogen Loss in Saturated Soils. 2014. McClure, M.A. UTCrops News Blog.
- Pre-Tassel Nitrogen in Corn. 2014. McClure, M.A. UTCrops News Blog.
Abstracts from scientific or discipline meetings, papers from conference proceedings
- Long-term Influence of Crop Sequences, Bio-covers and Aggregate Sizes on Organic Carbon and Nitrogen in Soil Profile under No-tillage. 2019. Bansal, S., X. Yin, V.R. Sykes, S. Jagadamma, and J. Lee. ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Annual Meeting. Nov 10-13, San Antonio, TX.
- Effect of Polymer-coated Urea on Cotton Yield and Nitrogen Uptake under Various Irrigation Regimes and in Varying Soil water-holding Conditions. 2015. Grant, T., B.G. Leib, H.J. Savoy, and A. Haghverdi. ASABE Annual International Meeting, July 26-29, New Orleans, LA.
- Effect of Delayed Nitrogen Availability on Cotton Yield in Varying Soils across a Range of Irrigation Regimes. Grant, T., B.G. Leib, H.J. Savoy, D. Verbree, D.D. Tyler, and A. Haghverdi. Beltwide Cotton Conferences, Jan. 5-7, 2014 San Antonio, TX.
- In-field Evaluation of Products Purported to Reduce Ammonia-N Loss from Urea. Savoy, H.J., X. Yin, M.A. McClure, and M.E. Essington. ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Annual Meeting.
- Nitrate Toxicity in Bermudagrass Hay and Its Effect on Net Returns. Boyer, C., A.P. Griffith, R.K. Roberts, H.J. Savoy, and B.G. Leib. Selected Paper published on-line at AgEcon Search, Southern Agricultural Economics Association Annual Meeting, Feb. 2-5, 2013 Orlando, FL.
- Steps Toward Efficient Use of Nitrogen. Savoy, H.J. Eleventh TN Water Resources Symposium. Apr. 4-6. 2001.
- Economics of Using the Pre-Sidedress Nitrate Soil Test for Sidedressing Nitrogen on Corn. 1999. Roberts, R.K., G.M. Lessman, and H.J. Savoy. Tennessee AGRI Science. No. 188, p. 15-19. University of TN, Agricultural Experiment Station, Knoxville, TN.
Refereed articles or reviews
- Liu, S., X. Wang, X. Yin, H.J. Savoy, M.A. McClure, and M.E. Essington. 2019. Ammonia Volatilization Loss in Corn Nitrogen Nutrition and Productivity with Efficiency Enhanced UAN and Urea under No-tillage. Scientific Reports, 9:6610.
- Corbin, M.D., R.L.G. Nave, G.E. Bates, D.M. Butler, and S.A. Hawkins. 2019. Alternatives to Conventional Nitrogen Fertilization on Tall Fescue and Bermudagrass. Agronomy Journal, 111:275-286.
- Ding, F., S. Li, X. Lu, F.A. Dijkstra, S.M. Schaeffer, T. An, J. Pei, and J. Wang. 2019. Opposite Effects of Nitrogen Fertilization and Plastic Film Mulching on Crop N and P Stoichiometry in a Temperate Agroecosystem. Journal of Plant Ecology.
- Harmon, X., C.N. Boyer, D. Lambert, J.A. Larson, and D.D. Tyler. Influence of Cover Crop and Tillage Systems on Optimal Nitrogen Rate for Tennessee Cotton Considering Risk. The Journal of Cotton Science, 22:211-220.
- Winings, J., X. Yin, S. Agyin-Birikorang, U. Singh, J. Sanabria, H.J. Savoy, F.L. Allen, and A.M. Saxton. Agronomic Effectiveness of an Organically Enhanced Nitrogen Fertilizer. 2018. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, 108:149-161.
- Zhou, X., J.A. Larson, X. Yin, H.J. Savoy, M.A. McClure, M.E. Essington, and C. Boyer. 2018. Profitability of Enhanced Efficiency Urea Fertilizers in No-Tillage Corn Production. Agronomy Journal, Agronomy Journal. 110:1439–1446.
- Boyer, C.N., R.K. Roberts J.A. Larson M.A. McClure, and D.D. Tyler. 2015. Considering Risk in Nitrogen Application Decisions for Corn Rotations in Tennessee. Crops & Soils. Volume 4848:26-27.
- Grant, T., B.G. Leib, H.J. Savoy, D. Verbree, and A. Haghverdi. 2017. Cotton Response to Irrigation and Nitrogen Source in Differing Mid-South Soils. Agronomy Journal, 109: 2537-2544.
- Winings, J., X. Yin, S. Agyin-Birikorang, U. Singh, J. Sanabria, H.J. Savoy, F.L. Allen, and A.M. Saxton. 2017. Agronomic Effectiveness of an Organically Enhanced Nitrogen Fertilizer. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 108:149-161.
- Winings, J., X. Yin, S. Agyin-Birikorang, U. Singh, J. Sanabria, H.J. Savoy, F.L. Allen, A.M. Saxton, and J.L. DeForest. 2016. Changes of Soil Microbial Population and Structure Under Short-term Application of an Organically Enhanced Nitrogen Fertilizer. Soil Sci. 181:494-502.
- Boyer, C., A.P. Griffith, R.K. Roberts, H.J. Savoy, and B.G. Leib. 2014. Managing Nitrate Levels in Bermudagrass Hay: Implications for Net Returns. Journal of the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers, 25-40.
- Boyer, C.N., J.A. Larson, R.K. Roberts, A.M. McClure, D.D. Tyler, and V. Zhou. 2013. Stochastic Corn Yield Response Functions to Nitrogen for Corn after Corn, Corn after Cotton, and Corn after Soybeans. Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, 45:669–681.
- Yin, X., R.M. Hayes, M.A. McClure, and H.J. Savoy. 2012. Assessment of plant biomass and nitrogen nutrition with plant height in early to mid-season corn. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 92: 2611-2617. Yin, X., M.A. McClure, H.J. Savoy, and R.M. Hayes. 2012. Estimation of corn nitrogen nutrition status with plant height under major cropping systems. J Sci Food Agric 2012; 92: 2611–2617.
- Caldwell, E.F., H.J. Savoy, and B.G. Leib. 2010. Growing Season Measurement of Petiole Sap Nitrate-N Concentrations in Burley Tobacco to Predict Yield and Tobacco Specific Nitrosamines in the Cured Leaf. Communications in Soil Sci. and Plant Analysis 41:1-10, 2010.